Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Toes & Props

Randomly for awhile now, I have getting toe cramps after some of my runs and bikes.  Often I take off my bike shoes to slide my feet into my some flip flops and I move my toes and I get hit with toe cramps!  OUCHIES!  So I did a little googling. Toe cramps may be caused by low calcium, potassium, sodium or even dehydration.  I suppose it is not uncommon for me to not drink very much as I am out training and I have been slacking on taking my vitamins.  Really, why is this tiny task so difficult for me to follow through with on a regular basis?  So after the worst big toe cramp yesterday, which I even noticed in my sleep last night and still hurts today, I RESOLVE TO take my vitamins more regularly and drink more (water that is...not beer silly)!  I guess I will also work on massaging my toes and stretching them for a little while now.


So last year and this year, I have worked with local triathlete and "coach", MG.  MG helps several of us out with our training plans and provides so much insight, motivation and a wealth of knowledge.  I have the utmost respect for him as a person, as an athlete and as a coach.  I was just reading his race report from Steelhead in which he put together an incredibly well executed race with a most impressive time and earned himself an outright spot to the Ironman 70.3 World Championships.  I am sooo thrilled for him!  It means a lot to me that I know he walks the walk.  He puts in the work and is one of the most disciplined athletes I know and it shows!  I was reading his race report which ended with his favorite quote from the endurance sporting world, which I love too and just wanted to share (especially because this morning felt like one of those "don't" days)-  


"Good athletes train when they want to, the great ones train when they don’t."


4 comments:

Heather-O said...

I get really bad toe cramps from swimming ;(

Thanks for sharing the quote! Today is one of those days I needed to hear something like that!

Matty O said...

Great quote!

Hmmm, toe cramps huh? I totally randomly get them when I am walking around barefoot in the yard and I fall to the ground because I feel like someone is yanking my toe out of the socket haha.

I drink tons of water daily (xc coach has burned this in my head big time)... so it might be lack of balanced diet >gasp!<. Guess I should start taking my vitamins too? Good stuff, thanks for the post!

LittleRachet said...

I'm bad about taking my vitamins too! Why is that so hard???

Unknown said...

Toe cramps are the worst!

Love that quote at the bottom! :)