Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Mad Monday Update 4/27



Started off the week absolutely miserable. It was rainy and cool Monday and I felt AWFUL with a bug that started as a sore throat late last week and ended up being a terrible head cold that was peaking Mon/ Tues. As the weather got better, so did the cold and ended the week feeling pretty good enjoying one of the funnest weekends!

Lots of sunshine, friends, exercise, beers and motorcycle riding! Also I competed in my new fancy FF/ BA uniform at the Hinckley Duathlon. At the start I lined up and took off up the big first hill. First mile came in at 6:30 which was not bad considering the elevation. However as I trudged through the next mile, my stomach started flipping (likely culprit the prior evening's lasagna...can we say no cheese this weekend?). I backed off a little bit and was really having second doubts as to whether I would need to stop in transition.

I came through transition and grabbed the bike and headed out for the 5 loop bike course. My quads were instantly super tight and my legs just did not seem to come around which was sort of frustrating. I was kicking myself for not throwing the clip on aerobars on my bike as it was the first time I have not had them in an event and it just felt unnatural. I just tried to stay in a comfort zone and focus on trying to stay consistent. At the start of the 4th loop I heard a noise which I thought was a leaking front tire. I stopped to check but it seemed fine so I kept going, albeit a bit timid. I did get passed by 3 chicks on the bike. One was either in the biathlon or I passed in transition as I never saw her again. [The bike noise was just some stupid piece of plastic caught up by my brake pads that BA Mike was able to magically fix for me after the race...GENIUS!]

As I headed out on the final run I was happy to be nearing the end. I just tried to run steady and right away I saw a girl ahead of me so I focused on catching up and passed her before mile one. My legs started coming back and my focus was just catching people which made the run feel easier. I passed another girl who had caught me early in the bike course with about 3/4 mile to go and I picked it up for the duration of the course. I felt lucky to place 2nd overall female in the du and I was very happy to see my friend CV, who is also on my team, get 1st in the bi. The weather was gorgeous and it was a wonderful time to catch up with friends and get in my first multisport race of the year!

This week will keep things very light as the final taper week leading to Pittsburgh Sunday. While not 100%, I am feeling much better and crossing my fingers that mother nature is kind.

M 4/20 off, sick, bought a new car
T 4/21 2.5 Miles on treadmill, sick
W 4/22 3.5 miles on treadmill, still sick but getting better; a little core work
R 4/23 10 miles ran(just under 8 min miles)
F 4/24 4 miles ran, core work
S 4/25 9 miles ran (just under 8 min miles), comfortable run out by Hermes 10 miler
S 4/26 7 miles ran, 15 miles biked (1 M w/u, 3 M Run - 15 M Bike - 3 M Run Duathlon)

Totals
Ran - 36
Biked - 15 :-(
Core - 2
Swam - Dont ask

4 comments:

Brian said...

much better. i still like my idea of guess the pic

duchossois said...

Congrats on a great race. Hope you're feeling good for this weekend. Good Luck!

Mike said...

Your bikes called, they said they missed you! lol Have you been MTB anywhere recently? I rode in the Vultures Knob race, first race in over 10 years. I finished 13th but I finished! :) I hope you were able to get tons of miles in on the motorcycle with the beautiful weather.

-Mike

allanjel said...

Nice trophy!!!

What kind of car did you get? Probabaly something fast... :)