Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Ramblings of the last day and a half

(Picture at Nelson Ledges State Park about 3 miles from my house)

I never knew sighting was so hard until this year when I started swimming with my head in the water.

I can't believe how lucky I was when I lived in Stow & Kent to have the gorgeous Munroe Falls park and the Valley so close by, and at the time I never even took the time to appreciate them.

I can do a open water swim (first one was Monday night) with only hitting the rope a few times.

I still love the water and do not mind the temperature as much as others...although I find myself thinking about doing tricks in the water and goofing around as opposed to working hard.

I can contemplate turning around and going home for an extra hour of sleep even while already on my bicycle...although if I would have turned around I would have missed an extremely gorgeous ride and the wonderful feeling from accomplishing it!

I hate bugs! One little one tormented me nearly the entire hour I was on my motorcycle as it flew in my eyeball right as I started riding before I flipped my face shield down. Then when I got out of the water biting flies decided I made for a good dinner!

I love the nice tan that comes along with training...even if it looks silly when I put a bathing suit on with them crazy tan lines.

I never complain about the heat and sun as I wish for it all winter.

I like the feeling of sweat dripping off me because I know I worked hard for it.

Northeast Ohio really offers some gorgeous scenery.

The tri community in this area is extremely supportive and I am so thankful for all the new people I have met.

8 comments:

Jodi said...

Sighting is definitely a challenge for me as well.

And I feel like I am finally starting to appreciate how beautiful this area is. What a great place to train- both with scenery and the great people in the tri-community.

I hope that you can make it out bowling on Thursday!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

"I love the nice tan that comes along with training...even if it looks silly when I put a bathing suit on with them crazy tan lines.

I never complain about the heat and sun as I wish for it all winter.

I like the feeling of sweat dripping off me because I know I worked hard for it."


AMEN, SISTER!!!

Papa Louie said...

Do you swim at the Quarry? That is a great place to get open water swims in. I have been swimming there since the hippie days of the 70's. Hiking the ledges is cool too.

Janet Edwards said...

Lou, No I have not swam at the quarry but I really want to find somewhere close for open water swims...so that may be a good option worth checking out! Thanks!

Trifrog said...

I'm with you on the weather thing. I love to be hot-n-sweaty because it reminds me of being cold-n-sweaty 6 months ago.

Sighting tip: look for a landmark on land that is large and visible against the sky backdrop and lines up with the direction you want to swim. It will be much easier to see than those little (from a distance) brightly-colored buoys. And hopefully the buoy isn't the same color as all the swim caps in your heat.

BuckeyeRunner said...

Are you open h2o swimming with or without a wetsuit? I don't have one, and have been hesitant about trying the water - its about 54 degrees, i think...

Janet Edwards said...

Buckeye Runner...I have a wetsuit and have not yet tried it but will soon!! On Monday I swam out at Munroe Falls (by Stow/Cuyhoga Falls) and I just wore my bathing suit. Water was about 72 and felt fine without wetsuit.

Mojo said...

I love your list of things you like about training, it makes me feel alive. I thought I was the only sick soul that liked sweating. Even when it burns my eyes. :)