Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My road to Boston


OK so this is my first time so I can't help but to be really excited about it!

Here is a little history of my marathon progression....

1998 - Ran Columbus marathon in the fall of my senior year of college. This was particularily hard for me to fit in the training between trying to maintain decent grades, work about 15-20 hours a week, and keep to a very rigorous party schedule.

TriShannon and I trained countless hours together and when marathon day arrived, I felt strong and ready in my cotton race wear with no real nutrition strategy. I ran the first 18 with Shannon and then ran the last 8 alone feeling really strong the whole way. With a time of around 4:40, I decided this marathon stuff was not for me as it took too much training time.

Fast forward 8 years.

2006 - Ran Columbus marathon again. After a couple years of getting back into running and realizing I was already training so much I might as well attempt a marathon again, I was back for the challenge.

I ramped up my mileage way too fast and had bad IT band issues. To complicate matters my stomach gave me the bird race day and I made 5 miserable port o potty stops and felt like crap. Ran a disappointing 4:15.

2007 - Cleveland Marathon -I was ready to show Columbus that was not me that day. I trained hard alone on the treadmill forcing myself to keep up my paces repeating "Boston Baby" over and over in my head. I trained consistent with my girls E and MT through the winter and arrived at the starting line feeling strong. I ran the first half 1:43:19 and slacked up the second half knowing my goal was simlply the BQ. Crossed in 3:38:32, victorious in my goal!

Chicago Mary 2007-My 4th marthon ever. It was more of a bonus for me. I had a BQ in the bag and was there to support and run with my cousin, Ar. In the heat, my girl accomplished her goal with me at her side!

2008--The MASTA PLAN!

Enjoy Boston Mary 4/21, Race Cleveland 5/18

Injuries feeling better and training is coming along, but that does not mean let's run harder at Boston. It will be one long training run and the goal is not to kill myself at both races, but to save myself something for Cleveland (I gotta feeling I will need to keep telling myself that over and over again Monday). That said my plan is to run a comfortable pace at Boston somewhere probably around 4 hours, recover smart and run strong at Cleveland!

12 comments:

duchossois said...

Great story. I love the first marathon training comment "...and keep to a rigorous party schedule". I didn't realize you ran the marathon from hell in Chicago last year. Much respect. See ya in Boston.

Charlie said...

Have a great time, this is your big party.

Brett S. said...

I can't say I've ever heard anyone use the Boston Marathon as a slow training run. Thats just too funny

Unknown said...

Wanted you to know I'll be sending good thoughts out to you and Liz!

Jim said...

I did the same thing in 2006. Ran Boston easy and raced Cleveland. Enjoy the ride at Boston. High five everyone...especially the little kids with the thick Boston accents screaming.

Brian said...

Have fun in boston. Leave me some beer for I'll be there the week after. Screw the training run. Requalify at boston and run cleveland along me and get me to my goal.

Papa Louie said...

Boston was so much fun for me too. Enjoy your time. The wellesley girls are AWESOME.

Steve Stenzel said...

YEAH!! Enjoy Boston in a few days!!

JenC said...

Good luck and have fun buddy! You deserve to bask in this well-earned race.

triguyjt said...

Have a wicked Harrdee Monday from Hopkinton to the finish line.

Soak it all in. Enjoy.

You deserve it

tracie said...

good luck!!!! you're going to kick ass for sure!

Soapin' Cindy said...

I will experience Boston vicariously through your blog. Good Luck!