Thursday, August 10, 2006

Juggling act...

So much to do, so little time.

Full time job, part time consulting, training, and all the other normal things that life throws at you....if only I did not require sleep maybe I could fit this in..??..

Last week I was informed at my full time job most everyone would be losing their job soon. I have known for some time this was coming, I guess I was just hoping for more time. More time to have a new job already set up, more time to figure out the best match. As much as I appreciate the owners for trying to give us a heads up and going against what would make the best business sense for them to keep it amongst themselves...it does not make it any easier for myself or my co-workers as we come to work full of anxiety. I have been here for over 6 years. I have never lost a job before. When is the day? Are we going to get a severance? Who else can I network with in the industry? So many questions, and no easy answers. The only definite thing I can grasp is that I need to keep making contacts.

Apparently Cleveland area is not the hot-spot for a lot of investment-related jobs....but if I wanted to move to Atlanta, NY, or PA, I could have a job right now. However there are many good people, good firms, and satellite office opportunities here so I will just keep at it and surely something will turn up, as moving is not an option at the moment. So feel free to drop me a line if you have any finance or investment related contacts in Cleveland.

Training has been significantly impacted. Job searching and networking is time consuming. I was frustrated on Saturday that although I still got a second place age group award, my 5K at 23:19 was my slowest of the year.

This weekend we host the annual corn party at my place which should be 100+ guests. I am really looking forward to the fun times to be had with family and friends, but the preparation is an unbelievable amount of work. And as I lay awake exhausted in my bed with worry, I try to think that this career transition will probably be a good thing and we will get through it as the saying says when one door closes, another one opens, right??

8 comments:

Kim said...

come to boston! :) lots of investment companies with openings! you could work with me!!

Trisaratops said...

I am SOOOO with you on this one, girl. It's really been rough in C-Town lately. I know you have been thinking about this possibility for a while, but you're right--it still doesn't make it any easier to hear it. I will talk to Tim (Jill's husband) again to see if there's anything in his company for you. Don't beat yourself up about the race--it amazes me how much stress has affected my HR, level of exertion, etc. You're getting out there and that's all that matters--just try to run for YOU and for FUN to get through this.

I'm told if we moved to NC or FL, we could pretty much walk into a school and have jobs on the spot. In FL--you don't even need your degree from what my friend said! She hasn't even finished hers and landed 4-5 offers last year!!! But I'm with you--lots here that I love, and I just don't want to have to do that yet. Here's hoping the doors open for you...!

Trifrog said...

Wish I knew somebody here at Key in McDonald or Private Banking that I could introduce you to.

Jodi said...

So sorry to hear about your job. With your work ethic and positive attitude I'm sure that you will find something out there. Just say the word if there's anything I can do to help. Or if you just want to get out and ride someday to de-stress!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Hate to hear about all that...it will definitely affect your training. Keep at it though, I'm sure something will come your way soon.

Papa Louie said...

Definitely! One door closes as another opens. It is another opportunity for a new beginning. Hang in there and do your best to keep your hopes high even in the midst of all your juggling. Then go for a run.

Mojo said...

Sorry about your job. You have the right attitude, another door will open!

You still run like a gazelle, even when you are stressed. :) Way to place second age group.

I hope you have a fun and relaxing corn party. You deserve it!

BuckeyeRunner said...

Hang in there! I know it's tough - I have had my own job-related woes, as well, and it really does SUCK. I hope that some opportunities open up soon - I am thinking good thoughts for you.